If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, February 22, 2019

Up in arms?


Somehow I missed them when I was taking this picture in the field, but when I was reviewing photos, I noticed two peanut worms (Phascolosoma agassizii) extending their introverts up between the arms of this juvenile Ochre Sea Star (Pisaster ochraceus). 

The visible parts of the peanut worms are tubular and grayish with black stripes.  If you'd like to learn more about peanut worms, you can review the post called "Introducing the introvert" on 31 January 2013.

2 comments:

James Rutherford said...

The top worm looked like a plastic syringe when I first saw it.

Jackie Sones said...

Yes, it's an odd setting for peanut worms, although they seem to like tight spaces! I really like the patterning of black stripes on their introverts. It's distinctive once you get used to it!

:) Jackie