If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, February 18, 2019

All together now

I had to do some intertidal field work this afternoon (18 February 2019).  When I finished, I looked around a bit.  I was starting to focus on this chiton (Lepidozona cooperi), when I noticed something intriguing next to it:


My first thought was that the striped object might be the arm of a brittle star.  But when I was able to see it more clearly, I realized it was a polychaete worm.  

I think we've seen this worm before for example, see the post called "Ruler worm?" from 1 May 2013.  However, this individual appears to be broader.  When I zoomed in, I could see that it's possible she has lots of cream-colored eggs inside?


I'll have to ask around for some help with the identity of this intriguing worm.

P.S.  In case you're wondering, the white spiraled animal at the head end (left side) of the worm is a foram (Foraminifera).  The bright pink animal in the same location is a bryozoan (Eurystomella bilabiata).  The paler pink in the lower left corner of the second photo (and above and to the right of the chiton in the first photo) is coralline algae.

3 comments:

Amy said...

It's always hard for me to tell by a picture but maybe odontosyllis phosphorea? (does it glow!?!?)


https://www.google.com/search?q=odontosyllis&rlz=1C1GCEV_en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3-OuHkMjgAhU4JDQIHQ4LDhYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1094&bih=504&dpr=1.25#imgdii=Muj9stsomV2MLM:&imgrc=qQObjor4RCT9UM:

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Amy!

Sorry for the delay, but thanks so much for the suggestion! I agree that Odontosyllis looks like possibility. Not sure about the species, but I'll keep working on it if we see others.

:) Jackie

David Ocker said...

Hi Jackie -- Amy was right. Both this one and the "ruler worm" are Odontosyllis phosphorea. I don't think this one is prego as the the creamy bits appear to be inside the digestive tract. Eggs develop out of it so probably just a very well fed individual. Leslie Harris (from my husband's account)