If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, August 3, 2019

Float sequence


A small section of Feather Boa Kelp (Egregia menziesii) showing the floats (pneumatocysts) and lateral blades.  When I picked up this piece of kelp today, I realized I hadn't thought about the growth and development of Feather Boa Kelp floats.  

At first I thought the size of the floats might be sequential on a young plant, i.e., largest near the base of the plant and smallest towards the outer tip.  But seeing these floats today made me re-think the development of the floats.  I haven't had a chance to research whether someone has tracked this in maturing plants over time, but now I'm curious.  I might have to follow a few individuals to see how they progress!

P.S.  For more pictures and information about Feather Boa Kelp, you can review the post called "Happy Birthday, Archibald!" from 14 March 2012.

4 comments:

Hank Birnbaum said...

Live your posts- many thanks!
But note rare typo today:
Feather boaT kelp!! 😂

James Rutherford said...

Perhaps small floats out of sequence broke off and are being replaced.

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Hank,

Yikes! Thanks! Typing late at night is always a challenge for me. :)
That was kind of a funny typo, but it has now been fixed.

Jackie

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Jim,

Interesting idea! This was a relatively young plant, with only a few floats. It had washed up on the beach, so it's hard to know its history. I'm reading around a bit just now to see if someone has studied float development in Egregia.

:) Jackie