If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, January 31, 2020

Enraptored

We had a nice trio of raptor observations this morning.  I think one of the best views was this bird near the Bodega Bay Post Office:


Bald Eagle (Haliaeetis leucocephalus)


Returning from a shorebird survey, this bird was perched on a wire along the road:


Separating Cooper's Hawks and Sharp-shinned Hawks can be challenging.  I'm going with a small male Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) for this one, but I'm open to other opinions!


Earlier, just as we began the shorebird survey in Bodega Harbor, this bird made a quick pass over the tidal flats:


Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
 

3 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

I love your blog posts. This one is especially remarkable. Thank you for keeping this blog going. You inspire me and my wife to regularly visit Bodega Bay, especially Bird Walk.

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, Dan! Your feedback inspires me to keep posting! I like the Bird Walk Coastal Access Trail, too. In case someone reading this doesn't know about it, here's a link:

https://parks.sonomacounty.ca.gov/Visit/Bird-Walk-Coastal-Access-Trail/

Jackie

liz said...

Great photos. I'd agree--sharpies and coopers can be tricky but I'd go with cooper's on this one.