If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Seeing stripes

We've been doing low tide intertidal surveys during the past couple of nights.  On 10 January 2020, Eric looked down to see this amazing fish:


I think this is a Slimy Snailfish (Liparis mucosus).  We hadn't seen this species before, so we took a few documentary photos for the record.

For scale, the fish was ~7-8 cm (~3 inches) long.  [Those are the blades of Stephanocystis (formerly Cystoseira) osmundacea surrounding the fish.]

The striped patterning was mesmerizing.  Here's a close-up of the head:



And an even closer one of that intriguing eye with the teardrop-shaped pupil:


Slimy Snailfish have a broad distribution from Alaska to Baja California, Mexico.  The Guide to the Coastal Marine Fishes of California (Miller and Lea, 1972) says they're uncommon.  Although there is a more common snailfish in our area (the Tidepool Snailfish, Liparis florae), it was fun to meet a different species!  (Thanks, Eric!)

Fun fact: The snailfish family includes a species that has occurred deeper in the ocean than any other fishover 26,000 feet (~8 km) below the surface along the Mariana Trench.

3 comments:

Wormgirl said...

Jackie- what a cool fish! I was wondering if you've seen a fish with the teardrop-shaped pupils before, or if it could be because of the angle of the photo? Or is it just a really cool fish eye?

Jackie Sones said...

Hi!

Well, I don't think I've noticed that shape before, but I can't say for sure. Next time I see the more common species of snailfish, I'll have to check the pupil shape!

I do have quite a few photos of the Slimy Snailfish from different angles, and the pupil shape appears the same in all of the images.

I did a quick Internet search for pupil shapes in fish, and there are some papers about different pupil shapes in vertebrates and how they relate to ecological niches, but I haven't had a chance to sort through all of that info!

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/7/e1500391

:) Jackie

Anonymous said...

My wife and I dove in Monterey one weekend. At around thirty feet deep I checked my dive computer and there on the face was a slimy snail fish about 1 inch long!