If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, October 2, 2020

A new tweed?

  

This beauty of a moth showed up at our house tonight (2 October 2020).  I spent quite a bit of time trying to identify it, but came up short.  I'll keep trying, but if this moth looks familiar to you, let me know!

Here's a close-up of the amazing scales.  Eric and I both think this mix of colors has great potential for a tweed fabric: violet, teal, indigo, and charcoal, with flecks of white.  Pretty spectacular!

  

 
P.S.  ADDENDUM (3 October 2020): I think I've figured this one out.  My best guess right now is a Subterranean Dart Moth (Feltia subterranea).

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie. Before I saw your addendum, I looked through the moth book and was going to suggest Feltia subterranea as a match. I think you are right. Alan

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Alan!

Thanks! I'm glad you came up with the same identification. I think it looks good.

Best,

Jackie