If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, October 30, 2020

Nice feathers!

  

David mentioned that a Lapland Longspur (Calcarius lapponicus) had been observed on Bodega Head, so I stopped by the outer parking lot this morning to see if it was still around.  Luckily, it was still there, just south of the whale watch area.

Lapland Longspurs are rare fall or winter visitors to Sonoma County.  They breed in the Arctic tundra and Bodega Bay is a bit far south for them (at least along the coast).

 
 
 
 
Check out the beautiful rufous feathers you can click on the image for a larger version:
 
 
Many thanks to David for letting me know about this bird and to Mario for spotting it! 
 

2 comments:

woodworth said...

Hi Jackie
I don't thank you often enough for the beautiful images, over such a range of natural history, that you send me. I love the detail in the longspur shots, very well done.
I trust you and yours well as can be in these dark times
All good wishes from lockdown in the Wicklow mountains
Paddy

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Paddy!

So great to hear from you! I'm so sorry about the lockdown -- sometimes I feel as though this pandemic is too stressful to describe. Natural history has been many things to me over my life. At a time like this, it often serves as a healer and a way to gratitude and awe. May there be a time when I can explore the natural history of Ireland!

Best,
Jackie