If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Fishing in the surfgrass

We were on our way out to do some early morning field work today (11 July 2021) in a rocky boulder field when I heard a high-pitched whistle.  It didn't register immediately, but when my mind starting ticking through possible options, I realized it was probably a young River Otter (Lontra canadensis).  So I looked around for a bit and finally spotted where the sound might be coming from.  Can you find the face of the adult otter in the photo below?

 
She's peeking out from around the seaweed-covered rock, in the middle of the photo, just right of center.  It's only her face, but you can see her eyes, nose, and whiskers.  
 
I stood very still and then watched as the adult entered the water and was followed by two young otters.  I don't often shoot video, but the point-and-shoot camera I had has that option, so I decided to give it a try.
 
It was so much fun watching the otters hunt for prey among the surfgrass (Phyllospadix sp.) and seaweeds.  They were so fluid and so fast!  They disappeared under the surfgrass blades, but their movements were still visible at the surface.  Then they would dive and reappear from below some kelp fronds.  So cool!  Here are a couple of short video clips:


 

[If you can't see the video player in the e-mail, click on the title of the post above to go directly to the NHBH website.]

And one more photo, of the mom (on the right) and one of the young ones (on the left), both feeding on fish:

 

5 comments:

Sue Johnson said...

FABULOUS!!
It feels like I'm right there with the otters.
I'm all energized to go fishing!

Thank you!
Sue

Alice Chan said...

That video is the best way EVER to start my day. Thank you!

Lotsoflux said...

WOW! That is such great footage. It feels like I'm right there watching those otters with you :)

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, everyone! So fun! I'm so grateful for a few moments with this otter family and getting to see how they interact with their environment.

:) Jackie

Unknown said...

That was fantastic.