If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, August 15, 2022

Eating peanuts

  

Here's a fun story.  In Monterey County, I came across an Ida's Mitra snail (Atrimitra idae, formerly Mitra idae).  Although we see their shells occasionally in Bodega Bay, I haven't seen a live snail in the field, so I was excited to find one.

I have read that Ida's Mitra specializes on eating an unusual prey item —  peanut worms (sipunculans).  I've always been curious about how that works, since peanut worms often live deep within rock crevices.  

After photographing this individual, I looked up to see a second Ida's Mitra not too far away.  I took a quick photo and noticed something brown that I wasn't sure about.  I was under the impression that Ida's Mitra's body was primarily white, so I wasn't sure what the brown part might be.  Here's the next photo and then a second even closer image from a slightly different angle:

 
 
Ahh!  This snail was eating a peanut worm!  That brown object is the posterior end of Phascolosoma agassizii, a common peanut worm in rocky shore areas.

I waited a while to see what would happen and took a couple more photos for the record:

 
 
I didn't see the position of the peanut worm change very much.  Later I read about two possible feeding strategies in this family of snails (1) the snail could rasp a hole in the peanut worm's skin and then extend its proboscis into the peanut worm to access the inner tissues, or (2) the snail could swallow the peanut worm whole and digest it once it reached the stomach.  I can't say for sure which was happening here, but my instinct was that the snail was swallowing this peanut worm.

Later I found a different individual under water with its siphon fully extended, apparently searching for prey (it's likely they can detect the scent of a peanut worm in the water).  The siphon is the tubular structure above the head:

 

And I also encountered a very pretty juvenile snail:
 
 

Although I'm a big fan of peanut worms (see below), it was amazing to see this feeding behavior in the field.
 
 

5 comments:

Serena said...

Such an amazing observation! These happen to be one of my favorite snail species to see while diving. I love the contrast between their white bodies and dark shells. I had no idea they specialize on peanut worms! Sad but very neat. :)

Alice Chan said...

Once again I'm indebted to you for showing me such an interesting part of the world. Thank you!

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Serena!

Yes, that contrast between the dark shell and the white body is striking! One time a researcher had an Ida's Mitra in the lab and the snail produced beautiful eggs capsules...also white.

I still don't know how the snail gets a peanut worm out of a crevice. I've wondered if they might anesthetize them, but it doesn't seem clear from the literature I've encountered so far.

:) Jackie


Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Alice!

Yes, it's so much fun to know that new stories are always waiting around the corner. I find it both humbling and fascinating to think about how little we know about the world around us.

:) Jackie

Unknown said...

Amazing shots!