If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Going, going, gone!

  

I joined an offshore boat trip today (21 August 2022) on the New Sea Angler.  We made it ~30 miles off shore and visited Cordell Bank and Bodega Canyon.

One of the highlights was a small group of Fin Whales (Balaenoptera physalus).  I'll show more pictures later (of Fin Whales and other species), but for now I thought I'd share these fluke shots.  

I haven't seen Fin Whales very often in this area (but see the previous sighting in the post on 31 July 2016).  And it's rare for them to show their flukes, so here you go!

 

 
More soon...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, please “shore” more pics !
I know, it’s not easy to catch every
misspelled word… I’m just teasing you!

Jackie Sones said...

Whoops! Typo has been fixed! I'll chalk it up to the long day at sea and the seasick medication. In fact, I feel asleep soon after posting these photos!

I always appreciate hearing about typos! Thank you!

:) Jackie

Norma J said...

Awesome to see Fins (multiple) and flukes, as with Blues, also not seen often. Can't wait for more photos of what you encountered!