If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, September 2, 2022

A surprising flash

  

While eating lunch outside today, a bird flew by flashing a bright white tail band.  I immediately recognized it as an Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus), but didn't have a camera with me.

I retrieved my camera and then caught up with the kingbird again.  It was somewhat distant, but I zoomed in and ended up with some photos for documentation:

Eastern Kingbirds are vagrants to this area I think there are fewer than 20 records total for Sonoma County.  Not sure if this bird will still be around over the weekend, but it might be visible from other areas on Bodega Head, e.g., the Campbell Cove area or the Overlook Trail from the State Parks parking lot.

 
P.S.  Have to say thanks to Serena Williams for all of the inspiration over the years! 
 

3 comments:

Gail said...

Serena Williams the tennis player? Is a naturalist too?

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Gail!

Ah, well, not that I know of. But I'll always be inspired by people who strive to be the best they can be at something. And the athlete in me appreciates the "never give in" attitude and her competitive spirit. (We also have some tennis players in our family, so I've followed tennis at least casually for most of my life...which means for all of the Williams sisters' careers.) So I'm thankful for inspirational heroes. It's inspiring to see how much she's accomplished and to see her giving it her best, all the way to the final stroke. And how often do you get to see an athlete of that caliber play her final match?

:) Jackie

BB said...

Fabulous to see in Sonoma County. They actually breed here in Oregon on the Deschutes River.

Thanks for keeping me connected to the motherland!

-BB