If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, October 29, 2022

Little dipper

  

American Dipper (Cinclus mexicanus) in a creek near Cape Perpetua, Oregon, on 29 October 2022.

We had fun watching this dipper while it foraged for invertebrates, both in and above the creek.  It would often fly-catch swooping up to snatch flying insects, perhaps caddisflies:

 
It was so fun to see how at home the dipper was along the creek perched on rocks in riffles, walking along submerged logs, swimming, and diving below the surface, flying upstream and over cascading falls.

3 comments:

Alice Chan said...

The American Dipper - one of my top-five all-time most favorite birds. When I lived in Bishop in the eastern high Sierra, right on Bishop Creek, there was a Dipper that lived in that part of the creek, and it provided endless fun for me. I miss that so much, and seeing these photos today brought me joy.

Thank you!!

PS - I've just sent you an email with a question.

Bill Wolpert, Architect said...

With its large size and orange abdomen, the insect could be an October caddis.

Jackie Sones said...

Hi!

Thanks for the comments!

I thought October Caddisfly (Dicosmoecus gilvipes) was a possibility, but I wasn't 100% sure how to identify them from the photos. Thanks for the suggestion!