If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Spiderlings?

  

While doing some surveys during the low tide this afternoon (22 November 2022), Eric kept spotting these very small sea spiders (pycnogonids).  This species, Pycnogonum stearnsi, is common in this area, but we don't often see juveniles.  The ruler above shows millimeter markings, so this sea spider was only ~3 mm long.  (The sea spider is crawling across a purple sponge.)

Here's another photo  with one individual of a more typical size (~8-10 mm long) and another small juvenile to the right:

 

3 comments:

John W. Wall said...

This makes me think of Leonard Nimoy as Spock, encountering strange new life forms on a faraway planet. Hands clasped behind his back, he arches his eyebrows and says, "Fascinating."

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, John!

That made me laugh out loud. I was a big Star Trek fan growing up, so I can see that scene and hear Spock now. :)

Also, I have a somewhat unusual connection to Leonard Nimoy! My father's family lived in the same neighborhood that he did in the Boston area in the 1940s. Two of my great uncles spent time with Leonard Nimoy -- selling newspapers and teaching him how to sail on the Charles River!

There's a fun video where he talks about it and mentions my great uncles (Larry and Leon Sones) -- Leonard Nimoy's Boston:

https://www.facebook.com/Star.Trek.Universe.STU/videos/leonard-nimoys-boston/235589063816034/

:) Jackie

John W. Wall said...

Whoa, great story!