If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Visitors from offshore


Remember these snails?  This is a Purple Sea Snail (Janthina umbilicata).  I wasn't expecting to see them right now, but I found a few while doing a survey on Salmon Creek Beach tonight (25 January 2018). [Those are millimeter marks on the ruler, so the snail was ~10 mm across.]

During the 2015-2016 El Nino, many Purple Sea Snails washed ashore in Bodega Bay.  I wrote a post introducing this species on 20 January 2016 click here to review that summary (including a nice video!).

Purple Sea Snails are often associated with By-the-wind Sailors (Velella velella).  Sure enough, there was a handful of Velella washed up today.  Here's one:


I'd be very interested in hearing about any other Purple Sea Snail sightings.  So if you see one, take a picture, and let me know!
 

No comments: