If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Prairie hunter


It's not necessarily uncommon to see a Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) perched up highe.g., in a tree, on a pole, or on a wire.  It's less common to see them actively hunting.  This one was out around dusk tonight (10 January 2019).  I thought it might be too dark for pictures, but I got lucky with one photo.  Such a nice profile of a Great Horned Owl in the coastal prairie!

2 comments:

James Rutherford said...

They are large. I remember walking in the dunes one day and hearing a cat like sound. There had been recent sitings of a mountain lion. I suddenly saw a large cat like head in a lupine bush. Turned out to be a great horned owl.

Sue Johnson said...

Great i.d. challenge for me: facial disc=harrier? but no white rump. Interesting how an unusual angle and location had me stumped.
Thanks, Jackie! Although it was humbling, I enjoyed trying to figure this out.
Sue