If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, April 1, 2019

Which one?


We saw a wonderful patch of wallflowers (Erysimum sp.) at Point Reyes last week (29 March 2019).  I'm hoping someone might be able to assist with the identification.

These plants were growing along coastal bluffs in very sandy soil.  Many of the surrounding plants were species I associate with older dune communities.


Is this Coast Wallflower (Erysimum concinnum)?  I've noticed this species is also known as Bluff Wallflower and Headland Wallflower.  The other possibility would be San Francisco Wallflower (Erysimum franciscanum), but I don't think I looked at enough characteristics in the field to be able to identify which species this is.  

If you can help, I'd love any feedback!


P.S.  I think "concinnum" might mean "elegant" or "pleasing."  Either would be appropriate for this beautiful spring wildflower!

2 comments:

John W. Wall said...

I suspect E. concinnum. If you search Calphotos for Point Reyes, all the images are that species. The only cover shot I ever got in Bay Nature was this species, back in 2011: https://baynature.org/product/apr-jun-2011-issue/

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks for the help, John!

And thanks for sharing the link to your Bay Nature cover -- what a beautiful photo!

Jackie