If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, April 1, 2019

I've seen flying squirrels, but...

Okay, many of you probably saw the Long-tailed Weasel photos that I posted a couple of days ago on 29 March 2019 — see the post called "Pop! Goes the...".  Well, I didn't reveal the entire story.  Mostly because it was a little too hard to believe.

I was looking through the camera's viewfinder and was trying to focus on a Northern Harrier hanging in the breeze over the bluff edge...when all of a sudden I noticed a dark streak at the bottom of the frame.  It wasn't until I got home and downloaded the photos that I realized what I had captured.  Now I've seen flying squirrels, but I hadn't heard of flying weasels!


Can you believe that?

Well, beware the 1st of April.  Happy April Fool's Day!

😉 

The true story?  I did actually photograph a bounding weasel and caught it while airborne a very interesting perspective.  But, I missed capturing the entire animal by a nose, i.e., only by an inch or so (Darn!).  Here's the original photo:



And here's one more view of the weasel, getting ready to dash away from the burrow entrance:


Watch out for April Fool's Day jokes today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! Thanks for making my day.

Carol

Jackie Sones said...

:) We had fun putting that one together. You never know if other people will think it's funny. But every time I looked at the flying weasel picture, I kept smiling and laughing. I'm glad you liked it, too!

Jackie