If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, August 27, 2020

Heading north

We took a quick look offshore before leaving the coast tonight (27 August 2020) and Eric spotted large flocks of Sooty Shearwaters (Ardenna grisea) close to shore and heading north.  

There were thousands of birds streaming by.  Here's a series moving closer with each view.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]
 










1 comment:

Bill Wolpert, Architect said...

I was first introduced to sooty shearwater when I was a student at Cal Poly. I was working in a restaurant during the summer in Avila Beach a one evening you could see a dark cloud of birds out toward the horizon streaming to the north just over the water. One of the diners commented, "Those are sooty shearwaters". I watched them go by for the longest time until it was too dark to see. I can't imagine how many there might have been.