If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, August 17, 2020

Rolling along

There was some really interesting weather and cloud formations at the coast today (17 August 2020).  I'm running out of time tonight, but I can't help sharing a few images before heading for bed.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]

Who knew there was a volcano offshore of Bodega Head?  ;)



And some amazing curves (same formation as previous image, just a little later as it moved closer to us):



I'm wondering if we saw a couple of roll clouds today?  This cloud extended for miles along the coast!



These clouds were moving quickly to the north, but also east.  Here's one approaching us just before it passed over our heads (and we felt the winds along with it!):


Pretty wild.

4 comments:

Limantour walker said...

Pretty wild indeed! I've never seen anything like that!

John W. Wall said...

Those are great shots! I saw one of those cloud mounds when I was biking along Ocean Beach yesterday. It was up north and appeared to be around where Chimney Rock at Pt. Reyes would have been. I had to ask myself if it was a hillside that only shows up in strange light.

eyeper said...

Oh man - you scored a very cool sky there! Sky meets ocean. Thanks for that one. Dennis

freightskwerl said...

Wow, so beautiful and mysterious! Your shots are very painterly :)