If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, September 11, 2020

Aboveground network

  

Carol was asking me about Pacific Silverweed (Potentilla anserina ssp. pacifica) today, which triggered a memory of this photo I took back in 2007.   

This species has an amazing network of stolons (aboveground runners).  This was fairly early in the growing season, but imagine the leaves getting larger and filling in the spaces.  Later in the summer and fall, the stolons are harder to see.   

Pacific Silverweed likes wetlands, e.g., on Bodega Head we find it in freshwater marshes, wet seeps along the bluffs, ephemeral dune ponds, and the upper edges of salt marshes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jackie! I can imagine that those stolons help stabilize the ground too? I just think those flowers are really sweet!
Carol