If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Pink flush

There have been large flocks of Elegant Terns in Bodega Harbor recently, and it's been easy to hear them calling along the outer coast of Bodega Head.

I stopped to take a few quick photos near Gaffney Point today (3 September 2020):

Note the pink flush on the underparts (more noticeable under overcast skies):

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
P.S.  Back in 2012 I posted a recording of Elegant Terns calling in Tomales Bay.  If you want to hear an example of their calls, you can check out that recording here.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was walking around the Head ( Bodega Head ) last week in the fog,
and I kept hearing a very familiar raspy call- aha! I finally remembered
that it was Elegant Terns! The Sea Lions were vocal too.

Kate Thompson said...

Thank you, Jackie! I am just getting to know (notice) these birds when we go to the beach at Doran. I love that call, so particular and substantial in its way. Thank you for the sound recording. Thank you for the beautiful photos and access to awe every day. Your blog has become a mainstay for me. I have 2 teenagers that I show your photos, too.
Best, cool, foggy wishes,
Kate