If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

How far?

I had to do a quick errand in downtown Sebastopol this morning (30 September 2020).  As I walked, I started noticing burnt leaves scattered on the ground.  I'm guessing they drifted to Sebastopol a couple of days ago when the Glass Fire started, but perhaps folks who live there know more about the timing?  For the record, here's one example:

 
How far did this oak leaf travel?  What did the tree look like?  I'm so sorry, old friend.  Thank you for your gifts.
 

4 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Jackie, I live in Sebastopol and our yard was littered with charred leaves (mostly from Bay Laurels) Monday morning

Lotsoflux said...

Of all of Kent Porter's amazing (and devastatingly beautiful) aerial photos from the mid-Sept. Walbridge fire, this one of what was obviously a large and ancient oak, was for me the most compelling. (link below) ~~ Vishnu

https://imengine.prod.srp.navigacloud.com/?uuid=98f48864-f7a3-5ac1-bac7-38b5125e95b1&type=primary&q=72&width=1024

A heritage oak and its ash scar in the Walbridge fire zone, Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, west of Healdsburg. (Kent Porter / The Press Democrat)

Unknown said...

Hi Jackie, I also live in Seb, in town and we also had the same as Dan, charred leaves of what looked like bay trees, on Monday morn. I picked one up Tuesday and wondered the same as you. Where did you come from? Thanks also for your condolences and gratitude to the tree. It touches me deeply that you are in touch with science and your personal relationships with what you observe. Thank you so much for your blog. I check it most days and share with my family. Profound respect for your work and sharing,
Kate

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, all,

Thanks very much for your comments and the reminder about Kent Porter's oak tree photo. I really appreciate the additional observations and connections.

Jackie