If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, January 11, 2021

After 16 years...

 

No joke I've been hoping for a badger photo for over 16 years now, and tonight (11 January 2021) it finally happened.  We often see evidence (digging) of American Badgers (Taxidea taxus) in coastal grasslands in this area, but seeing the animals themselves is rare (they're more active at night, which I am not).

Tonight Eric suggested one more task which would require going for a short walk.  Somewhat unusually, I wasn't so sure...it was cold and foggy and getting dark.  But we got ready to go, and somewhat unusually (again), I decided to leave my camera with the zoom lens behind.  It was so foggy I didn't think it was worth carrying the larger camera.  Then Eric said offhandedly, "Okay, let's go find a badger."

Not long after leaving the car, I couldn't believe my eyes because I looked to the west and there was a badger...rambling around in the coastal prairie...and all I had was a point-and-shoot camera!  Lucky for me, Eric was willing to go back to retrieve my larger camera while I kept an eye on the badger, and we ended up with a few fun photos.  Here it is surveying, smelling, listening, looking:



 
 
 
 
 
Such an intriguing animal.  I'm so happy to know they're out there digging in the coastal prairie soil, even while I'm curled up in my bed.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic...this is the best thing that's happened yet in 2021!

Dan Gurney said...

Holy cow! I've seen big holes on the coastal prairie that I thought were made by a badger. But I wasn't sure. I've never seen a badger out there...usually I'm home in Sebastopol at night. I am cheered to know they're out there doing their nighttime badgering. Thanks for getting and sharing these photos.

mogue said...

Fabulous. I shoot a lot out in bodega bay and didnt know that badgers were lurking there! Like you i’m mainly diurnal. I hope to spot a tern someday as well.
Love your photographs.

Best,

Lucy aron
www.shilohbear.snugmug.com

Alice Chan said...

Thank you SO MUCH for these photos. We've seen the burrows so many times and wished we could see the critters themselves. What a treat this morning!

PS - I'm still laughing at "(they're more active at night, which I am not)."

Unknown said...

This is pretty amazing. Such a cool animal...

Doerte Mann said...

Wow, that's fantastic. I must say that little guy looks like he/she is posing for pictures all the time, so I am kind of surprised you haven't come across it before.

wendy in port townsend said...

I'm so happy to see these photos! I am from the SF Bay Area and lived there most of my life, until moving out of state ten years ago. I've never seen a badger! A couple days ago I watched David Attenborough's "Seven Worlds, One Planet," and in the North America section, they showed a badger. I wished I could see one! And now here is your timely and valued post. Thank you.

Jim said...

So wonderful, Jackie - YOU are a constant source of inspiration 🙏🏽

Jennifer said...

Amazing photos. Thank you so much for these. I, too, would love to see a badger in the wild!

Unknown said...

I love these so much!

Lynn said...

Congratulations! Wonderful photos. Seeing a badger in the wild is one of my life goals.

Mama Loves the Beach! said...

WOW! What a treat! Amazing shots too! Badgers lived right near my Freestone property but I never saw a living one in 21 years. Sadly, I did see a very pregnant female hit on the side of the road. It gave me an opportunity to see one up close ... they are incredible animals well built for digging.

Alexandra said...

Ha ha ha... hadn’t seen “my” badger until I lucked while driving out to Tomales Point on the Pierce Pt Road in Pt Reyes Natnl Seashore.
AND ! That was after living in both Marin and Sonoma counties for over forty years! Such low to th ground critters. Comical to watch them
on the move. (( FYI a friend took a video of one in his henhouse last year and it got plenty of comments on u Tube! )) - Alexandra

Annaliese Hettinger said...

The kids and I have come back to this post many times. Such a special creature! Thank you for sharing the story and images!!! I now have two little badgers running around the house. <3