If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, January 4, 2021

California and Connemara

The other day we were watching a coyote hunting walking, pausing, listening intently:

 
 
It was late in the afternoon, so the lighting brought out the different colors in the coyote's fur:
 
 
Afterwards, I kept pondering what colors were there.  How would you describe them?
 
Later that night I was reading a book I started recently (Listening to the Wind by Tim Robinson) and I came across a line that strung together these colors "tawny, amber, and rufous."  Tim was describing sedges in a bog, but it immediately made me think about this coyote and I thought, "That's it!  Those are the colors in the coyote's fur."
 
A fun connection between a coyote in California and a bog in Connemara.
 
P.S.  Connemara is on the west coast of Ireland in the northwest corner of County Galway.
 

1 comment:

Alice Chan said...

I've seen a coyote only once in all my trips out to the Head, but that one day will stand out forever in my memory. It was such a treat. And today I get to enjoy your photos of one of my favorite critters. Thank you!

PS - you're right about the colors. <3