If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

The gladdest thing

  

I suppose everyone has species that they're drawn to for some reason and Brown Creepers (Certhia americana) are in that group for me.  There's just something about how subtly beautiful they are.  I've posted about creepers several times over the years, but yesterday I had a close encounter with one, so here are a few of my favorite images.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]

Looking like bark:

 
 
Going with the flow:

 
 
 
Searching for prey:
 
 
 
Feather details:
 
 
 
In profile view:
 
 
 Seeing creepers always makes my heart feel like the gladdest thing.
 
 
P.S.  The last line includes a nod to Edna St. Vincent Millay.
 
P.P.S.  For more information about Brown Creepers you can review the post from 24 March 2012.

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

Thanks so much for this. Brown Creepers are one of my favorite birds, too. I don't see them very often, but they do appear in our garden every now and then, and when I *do* see one, it's because I heard it first. Such a quiet little song they sing.

Anonymous said...

On the schmaaltzy side: creepers are a few of my favorite things...!