If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, February 10, 2022

Fishing from shore

  

Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon), Bodega Harbor, 10 February 2022

I think I've mentioned this before, but I have the hardest time trying to photograph kingfishers.  They seem quite shy in this area.  Perhaps you can tell these photos were taken through small openings in the branches of cypress trees.   

 

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

Oh how I love kingfishers. When I lived in a house on the bank of Bishop Creek (eastern high Sierra) there was a resident kingfisher there who kept me entertained endlessly. (There was also a resident Dipper. It doesn't get any better than that!)

Dan Gurney said...

Yes, Kingfishers consistently keep their distance from humans and that makes them very hard to photograph. You've done really well with these photos. I'm very much an amateur, but no matter how hard I've tried, I've never been really happy with any of my kingfisher photos.