If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, May 1, 2022

Fringed -- Part 2

 Okay, here's the mystery photo I showed last night:

 
And the answer to the mystery is...
 
...a close-up of the foot of a Red-necked Phalarope (Phalaropus lobatus).  Although not the same bird, here's a photo of a Red-necked Phalarope from 2012 where you can see the feet:

 
 
Yesterday I found a dead phalarope on a road.  Based on the location and the conditions (very foggy and windy), I think it's likely the phalarope hit a wire in flight.  When I went to move the phalarope off the road, I was struck by its amazing feet.
 
Phalaropes have lobate feet rather then webbing extending between all of the toes (like a duck), there are flaps that extend out to either side of each segment of the toes.  This design likely assists with swimming and stirring the water to bring prey up to the surface.  Here's a view of the foot from the side:
 
 
 
I'm fascinated by the little fringes along the edges of the lobes.  I don't know what the benefit of this structure would be.  Do you?  Here's another view from the other side:
 
 
 
And if you're curious, here's a view from below, looking at the bottom of the foot:

 
 
 
Along with a close-up:
 
 
 
While taking these photographs, I heard a phalarope calling overhead and then looked up to see a large flock of phalaropes wheeling over the grassland.  I scrambled to get my larger camera out of the car and managed a couple of quick photos.  Here's one for the record.  How many birds do you think are in this flock?  (My estimate is below.)
 
 
I counted 250 phalaropes in this photo...and I think I missed a few birds, so the entire flock was slightly larger than this.  They're migrating north to the tundra for the breeding season, so I'll be wishing them a successful journey.

1 comment:

Alice Chan said...

I would NEVER have guessed "that's a bird's foot" from the mystery photo. This is such a wondrous series of images. And I sure wish I'd been there to hear/see that flock!!