If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Silvery green wonder

  

I was helping Jacquie look for sea anemones this morning, when we encountered this gorgeous juvenile fish.  It was only ~1.5 inches (~3.5 cm) long.  For scale, the fish was resting on a Feather Boa Kelp.

I was drawn to the green and black patterning and the silvery coloration on the sides.  (This coloration reminded me of Atlantic Mackerel, which we used for bait while fishing for lobster when I was young.)

Here's a view from above:

 
 
And two additional views from the side:
 
 
 
 
I sent the pictures to a few people for assistance with an identification.  Jim was the first to write back suggesting a very young Cabezon (Scorpaenichthys marmoratus).  I found a couple of juvenile Cabezon photos on the Internet that look very similar to this individual (although lacking the dramatic green coloration).  Thanks for the help, Jim!

No comments: