If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, April 3, 2023

In the grooves

  

Along with Velella and other wash-ashores, Eric spotted this glass bottle washed up on the beach yesterday (2 April 2023).  The bottle's shape was unusual, but the grooves and indentations were perfect attachment spots for pelagic gooseneck barnacles (Lepas sp.):

 
P.S.  Anyone know what kind of bottle this is?  I tried to locate something similar on the Internet but couldn't find a match.  If you have any ideas, let me know!

5 comments:

Alice Chan said...

Finding beauty in stuff that washed up on the beach. Love this!
(And no, I've never seen a bottle like this before!)

Unknown said...

No idea about the bottle, but I wanted to report tons of Velella washed up on Central Oregon beaches this past week as well. Tis the season. Thanks for continued wonderful reports from Bodega and adjacent parts! - Chris Griesemer

Gretchen Joanna said...

It reminds me of an Avon cosmetics bottle, the sort I haven't seen for decades...

Jackie Sones said...

Hello!

I've received several other votes for a perfume bottle. (I looked around a bit more and still couldn't find a match.)

:) Jackie

VFM said...

Looks like it might be a man's after shave bottle. Lots of them are this shape.