If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Springing into action

 
I was a little surprised this morning when a bounding flash of color caught my eye.  Long-tailed Weasel (Mustela frenata)!   
 
I went to get my camera and returned hoping that the weasel might be in the same area.  I couldn't find it at first, but kept scanning and eventually noticed a little face emerging from a freshly dug burrow.
 
This weasel was quite active looking around, listening to bird sounds, sniffing the air, pulling back when a bumblebee flew by.  And then it emerged from the burrow, took a few spins around, went in and out of the burrow, and then dashed off to another spot in the grassland.
 
Luckily I had a zoom lens on the camera and the weasel wasn't too far away, so here are a few more of my favorite images.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]  Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

Gretchen Joanna said...

He is darling! I'm very grateful for your quick eye and camera work.

Maggie R said...

Wonderful photos! Such a glossy fellow.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I am seeing photos of this local resident. I have seen it on lists and it's evidence on the ground, but not the maker. Thank you for being persistent and patient.

Alice Chan said...

Thank you thank you thank you!!
What fun!!

Wave Watcher said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. I always enjoy seeing what you’ve discovered. These photos are adorable, although probably not if the weasels are in your yard.

Anonymous said...

Great shots!

Peter Connors said...

Jackie, International Talk Like A Pirate Day is still 5 months away: "when a bounding flash of color caught me eye."

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, all! Glad you like weasels as much as I do.

And Peter -- thanks for the catching the typo! I swapped "me" for "my" in that sentence -- but I'll be saying that phrase all day (including the pirate accent!) :)

Jackie

Jennifer said...

Wonderful photos. Love these swift little characters!

Anonymous said...

Great shots, can almost see the swiftness of his poses based on your description, especiall with the pirate talk! :) -KB

John W. Wall said...

These shots make my morning. Thanks!