If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, April 29, 2023

Snake eyes

  

Walking through the dunes today (29 April 2023), I was pleasantly surprised to come across this beautiful Western Yellow-bellied Racer (Coluber constrictor mormon).  It was curled up below a shrub and eventually turned and moved off in the other direction, but I managed a few photos for the record.  I don't see racers that often on Bodega Head, so it was a highlight on a cool day at the coast.  Here's a close-up showing the scales (and a reflection of me in its eye!).

 
I posted about racers way back in 2012, so if you'd like to read a little more about them (and see a photo of a juvenile), see "Color shift" on 15 October 2012.
 

No comments: