If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, July 20, 2023

"Little D"

 
Yesterday (19 July 2023) I photographed this very small nudibranch.  It was only ~5 mm long.  I kept puzzling over the identification, but eventually I gave up and asked for some help from Jeff.  Luckily (and not surpisingly!) Jeff knew right away.
 
This is a juvenile Diaulula sandiegensis.  I hadn't seen one so small!  And I wasn't used to Diaulula looking so fuzzy, but I guess that's one thing that changes as they age.
 
Note that Diaulula has much larger dark spots when older.  The spots are just starting to appear on this individual.

For reference, click here for a few photos of adult Diaulula sandiegensis.

3 comments:

abbyt said...

Wow!

Limantour walker said...

I'm always amazed, appreciating your posts, at the vast variety there is in nature. But it wasn't until today that I pictured in my mind what lengths to which you must go to get these photos! I'm imagining you continually crouched in tidepools waiting for the swells to subside and shifting the camera angle to avoid reflection to get just the right shot. And frequently in less than optimal weather!
My hat's off to you! Thank you for doing what you do, and for sharing it on this site!

Jackie Sones said...

Hi!

Well, it can be true -- photographing marine invertebrates under water in tidepools and intertidal zones can be tricky! It does require some maneuvering and patience and persistence. And it's also true that photographing in water with all of the various reflective surfaces can be challenging. Lots of times the photos don't work out. :/

But it's also very rewarding and much of the time it can be meditative. Sure, you might hear me muttering in frustration sometimes, but I think being able to document these beautiful marine invertebrates in their habitat is magical. And even better when I can share the photos with people like you! :) Jackie