If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Sand martins?

 
We were at Fort Ross on Friday afternoon (14 July 2023), when I noticed some large swallows swooping around over the beach and sometimes landing on the sand. 
 
 
This was a small flock of Purple Martins (Progne subis).  I don't encounter this species that often along the southern portions of the Sonoma Coast, and I hadn't seen them landing on the beach before, so I stopped briefly to see what they were up to.  It looked like they were picking up sand from the beach, perhaps to use as grit to help grind up their insect prey?
 
They were distant and they weren't stopping for long, so I didn't end up with great photos, but here are a couple of adult males with their deep indigo-violet color:
 
 
 
The flock tended to stay together (not sure if it could have been a family group?).  I counted 7-8 individuals.  Here are six in one photo:
 
 
P.S.  I called this post "Sand martins" because that's what came to mind while watching Purple Martins land on the sand.  But "Sand Martin" is an alternative name for Bank Swallows (which often nest in sandy bluffs).
 

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

I'm curious about what "use as grit to help grind up their insect prey" might look like. How would that work? Do you mean in their gullet?

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Alice!

Yes! Adding sand/grit to their crop/gizzard would help break up the prey into smaller digestible pieces.

Jackie