If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Rose-tinted, with orange and lavender

 
Yesterday I looked down to see this beautiful moth emerging between some fern leaves.  I didn't have a lot of time, but the moth stopped to rest so I took a few different photos for the record.

I love the orange spots!  The more forward spot is an orbicular spot (rounded), while the more distal spot is a reniform spot (kidney-shaped).

 
I think this is Amphipoea pacifica.  One description I read said the background color was "rose-tinted," which I felt was a good match.
 
I loved the purple highlights, too check out the fringe along the back edge of the hind wing and all of the fancy, "swooshy" scales on the head.  [In the second photo below, you can see the base of the antenna and the eye in shadow below the antenna.]
 

 
The first photos were taken in the shade.  The moth's coloration changed a bit in the sun, looking more rusty/orange overall:
 
 
I don't know much about Amphipoea pacifica, but I was glad for the introduction to this handsome moth!  Photographed near Salt Point on 14 July 2023.
 

No comments: