If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Focused

  

Wow!  This weekend, Eric looked out the back door and noticed this adult Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) sitting on a post in the garden.

The hawk spent quite a bit of time hunting...landing on tomato cages and walking among the plants.  We're assuming it was focused on finding a songbird.  Impressive to see it up close and to watch its behavior!

Here's another view:

 
This Cooper's Hawk is on the smaller side, so likely a male.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me what distinguishes this Cooper’s Hawk from a Sharp-Shinned Hawk? I have trouble telling the difference. Beautiful photos!

Jackie Sones said...

Hello!

Well, it's not necessarily easy to tell them apart. And I'll admit, I've seen more Cooper's Hawks since moving to California, so I feel like I don't have a lot of recent experience with Sharp-shinned Hawks. But folks I look up to have taught me to make an i.d. based on specifics, so here's why I leaned towards Cooper's Hawk in this case:

- overall size -- although hard to tell from the photos, I'd say this bird was larger than a crow, whereas Sharp-shinneds would be smaller than a crow. Although their appearances are similar, there's apparently not much (or any) overlap in size -- e.g., Sharp-shinned total length from ~24-27" (males) and 29-34" (females) vs Cooper's total length ~37-39" (males) and 42-45" (females).

- relatively large head -- again, this can be hard to judge, but to me Sharp-shinned heads appear noticeably smaller relative to the body vs. looking robust in Cooper's

- definite contrast between the dark cap and the nape (neck). This is easy to see in the second photo -- and one of the most helpful characters on this bird. In Sharp-shinneds, the color would blend in more, i.e., there would be less separation between the crown and the nape.

- a long, rounded tail -- sometimes hard to judge in a photo, but when this bird was active, the tail was noticeably long, and rounded at the tip when folded. Sharp-shinneds would have more squared off tails.

That said, I'm also open to other opinions! Working on the coast, I don't see as many accipiters, although Cooper's Hawks are around, so I could be biased!

Thanks for asking!

:) Jackie