If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, January 15, 2024

Out after the rain

  

We had to move some material on the ground today (15 January 2024), and look who was underneath!

Nice to see this beautiful Sierran Treefrog (Pseudacris sierra)...and it reminded me to check our rainfall totals.  So far we've received ~12 inches of rain, or about 38% of the average annual total.  Frogs have been quite vocal throughout our neighborhood.  Have you been hearing them in yours?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After so many years of drought, I have heard a 'chorus' of support for the recent rains! --ES

Jackie Sones said...

On that note ;) perhaps I'll need to record some chorus frogs and share an audio clip. And if you like the sound of that ;), perhaps you'll enjoy some of Lang Elliot's amphibian recordings. These are from the Northeast, but I love the photos of calling frogs/toads, too:

https://musicofnature.com/calls-of-frogs-and-toads-of-the-northeast/

:) Jackie

P.S. And I'll admit, I was feeling nostalgic for the sounds of Gray Treefrogs! I used to hear them while swimming in ponds on the Cape. :)

Bill Wolpert, Architect said...

We heard a big chorus of frogs across the street as we parked to hike the West Wind trail into Helen Putnam Park on Sunday. So great to hear!It made me wonder if they were also singing in the "Hidden Lake" at Mt. Burdell.

Anonymous said...

These tiny little guys make a lot of sound for their size. They keep good time too!