If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Warming up

   

If you're interested in the identity of the snail I posted about last night, I'm going to delay the answer by one day mostly because there might be more footage we can share, but it's not quite ready yet.  For now, I hope you enjoy this beautiful Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa)!

Air temperatures reached 68°F on Cotati today (and I heard that Santa Rosa reached 72°F, tying a record for the date).  Around mid-day Eric spotted a Mourning Cloak in our backyard, but it flew off before I could take a photo.  So I went for a short walk down the street to a spot where I thought it would possible to see another one, and sure enough there were two Mourning Cloaks there sunning in a wet wooded area.

This is one of my favorite butterflies, but I don't see them that often.  I love the deep mahogany color above and the beautiful gold and blue combination along the wing margins.  And they look completely different when the wings are closed, more like a dark leaf or piece of bark:

 
Perhaps you also observed indicators of the warm air temperatures today?

1 comment:

eyeper said...

Thanks for noticing and posting this lovely butterfly. It is remarkable in that it is not only one of the longest-lived butterflies, but it also can hibernate, overwintering in leaf piles, tree bark, etc. As a youth in Northern Minnesota I was astounded to see one now and then flying in March when the landscape was still snow-covered.

Dennis Olson
Santa Rosa