If you're interested in using any of these photographs or this content in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Warming up

   

If you're interested in the identity of the snail I posted about last night, I'm going to delay the answer by one day — mostly because there might be more footage we can share, but it's not quite ready yet.  For now, I hope you enjoy this beautiful Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa)!

Air temperatures reached 68°F on Cotati today (and I heard that Santa Rosa reached 72°F, tying a record for the date).  Around mid-day Eric spotted a Mourning Cloak in our backyard, but it flew off before I could take a photo.  So I went for a short walk down the street to a spot where I thought it would possible to see another one, and sure enough there were two Mourning Cloaks there sunning in a wet wooded area.

This is one of my favorite butterflies, but I don't see them that often.  I love the deep mahogany color above and the beautiful gold and blue combination along the wing margins.  And they look completely different when the wings are closed, more like a dark leaf or piece of bark:

 
Perhaps you also observed indicators of the warm air temperatures today?

1 comment:

eyeper said...

Thanks for noticing and posting this lovely butterfly. It is remarkable in that it is not only one of the longest-lived butterflies, but it also can hibernate, overwintering in leaf piles, tree bark, etc. As a youth in Northern Minnesota I was astounded to see one now and then flying in March when the landscape was still snow-covered.

Dennis Olson
Santa Rosa