If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, March 22, 2024

Splashes, fins, and leaps!

Okay, here's a fun story.  Yesterday (21 March 2024) I was working at my desk, which at the moment has a view of the ocean, and something white offshore caught my eye.  I thought it might have been a whale spout at first, but I saw it again and could see it was more of a splash, so I grabbed my binoculars for a better view.  I could now see extensive splashing and backs of cetaceans that didn't look like whales, but they were ~3/4 mile offshore, so a bit distant. They were moving quickly to the south, but I had a spotting scope nearby, so I ran down the hall with it and set up just outside the door in hopes of identifying them.

Now I could see a very large group of dolphins, probably over 100 individuals!  I could see large distinct dorsal fins, some full-body breaches, some tail slapping a very energetic group.  It was still far enough away that I wasn't sure about the species, but because it's rare to see so many dolphins close to shore off Bodega Head, I started shouting down the hallway for others to come see.

We had nice views of the dolphins, but I still wasn't sure about the species.  I could tell they weren't Bottlenose Dolphins (Tursiops truncatus)  they didn't have long beaks and the group size was too large.  I'd never seen Pacific White-sided Dolphins (Lagenorhynchus obliquidens) so close to shore, and usually they have some paler color on their dorsal fins and these dorsal fins looked dark to me.  Long-beaked Common Dolphins (Delphinus capensis) or Short-beaked Common Dolphins (Delphinus delphis) might have been possible, but they're not common in this area, and I couldn't see enough details to be sure.

At one point I had wondered about Risso's Dolphins (Grampus griseus) because some of the dorsal fins looked quite tall (tall enough that Orca even crossed my mind).  But I was thrown off because some of the smaller individuals leaping out of the water looked very pale below, especially in contrast with the darker backs.  I haven't seen Risso's Dolphins that often, but I think of them as being more uniform gray.  However, my lack of experience with the variation in this species likely biased my expectations.

I could see at least one boat out where the dolphins were, and was hopeful someone might have gotten a photo, so I sent out a few inquiries.  I didn't hear back...until this afternoon!  Bill Keener from The Marine Mammal Center let me know that they had a team on a research cruise out by Tomales Point around the same time.  They photographed a group of 100-200 Risso's Dolphins near Bird Rock.  The Marine Mammal Center kindly shared a couple of their photos, so here you go!  

Photo credit for both photos: N. Cristales/The Marine Mammal Center under NOAA permit # 26532.  [You can click on the images for larger versions.]

 
 
 
Such great photos!  
 
Risso's Dolphins are medium sized, reaching lengths of ~8.5-13 feet.  Note the prominent dorsal fin and the overall grayish coloration.  On a few individuals in the second photo you can also see that they're blunt-headed (similar to pilot whales).  Risso's Dolphins tend to prefer deeper water, but they are occasionally observed from shore.
 
With many thanks to The Marine Mammal Center crew for sharing their observations and wonderful photos.

7 comments:

Sybold said...

WOW.
And thanks for the lesson in Dolphinology!
Jackie, your speculations always teach us so much.
Can you speculate about why they were so close to shore?

Carinjks said...

How wonderful! I am happy you captured them=joyful! Thank you!

Jackie Sones said...

Hello!

Okay, here goes! Why were they so close to shore? My first thought is that it could be related to food -- marine mammals and seabirds often follow their prey. Risso's Dolphins primarily eat crustaceans and cephalopods, and primarily squid and octopus. Perhaps they were finding something close to the coast?

However, they were moving along at a fast pace, not stopping to feed. So maybe it was just a traveling day for them. Wave conditions have been calm this week, so maybe they just followed an easy route?

Risso's Dolphins sometimes associate with other cetaceans, so I suppose they could also have followed or cued in to other species that were spending time close to the coast.

Another possibility could be that something drove them closer to shore, like a predator, e.g., a group of Orcas.

I haven't studied dolphins, so this is just pure anthropomorphic thinking, but I can also imagine that it could be related to an adventurous spirit. Let's go! Let's check it out! What a day! Wheeeeeeee!

Thanks for the question!

:) Jackie




Jackie Sones said...

Hi, again,

Also just clarifying that I didn't take these photos. The Marine Mammal Center generously shared the photos they took during during a research cruise off Tomales Point. Here's the photo credit: N. Cristales/The Marine Mammal Center under NOAA permit # 26532

https://www.marinemammalcenter.org/

Jackie

freightskwerl said...

Wow!! So exciting, thanks for sharing that story!

Leora Feeney said...

Thank you for each of your stories. This one is so special! How fortuitous to have Bill Keener and team in the area to witness this important event. I also appreciate your educated anthropomorphic thoughts. Thank you for allowing some distractions from the window while working at the desk.

Thank you so much and Bill's team too.

Leora

Alice Chan said...

I am speechless with envy of everyone who got to see this in person. The photos are great, too, but...

This was exciting to read about!