If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Time to fly!

  

Well, I was on the fence about checking the hummingbird nest tonight.  I was running a little late, and I thought perhaps they'd still be in the nest tomorrow.  But then I thought...what if they aren't?  So I swung down to check on them after work.

When I first approached, I could see one juvenile in the nest...but only one.  I tried to scan different branches in the vicinity of the nest to see if I could find the second juvenile, but I wasn't having much luck.  Then I heard mom calling and she flew in to the nest:

 
 
After the feeding, I followed her as she flew to a second spot about 8 feet away from the nest...to the second juvenile!
 
 

She fed the second one and then flew off.  I watched the newly fledged juvenile for a few minutes.  Occasionally it would try out its wings:
 
 
 
But mostly it sat very still, looking around and listening to the early evening sounds:
 
 
Adventure awaits!

2 comments:

Sybold said...

Fingers (& eyes, & toes) crossed...

John W. Wall said...

Following the development of these hummingbirds has been such a treat. Thank you!