If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Blue views

On Sunday, I mentioned that we had great views of a few groups of Blue Whales (Balaenoptera musculus) during the boat trip to Bodega Canyon and Cordell Bank on 14 October 2018.  They're impressive animals, so I can't help but show a few more images.  [You can click on the pictures for larger versions.]

With spout:



Two individuals close together:



Silvery:
 


Mottled: 
 


With diatoms (the bronze patches) on its skin:
 


Flukes!
 


One Blue Whale was fairly close to Bodega Head.  I'm not sure of the distance, but it might have only been 1-2 miles from the coast:


Even though they aren't often visible from land, I love knowing that Blue Whales are spending time offshore of Bodega Head.
 

No comments: