If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Tucked in

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a meeting at the Hastings Natural History Reservation in Carmel Valley.  While walking by one of the buildings, I heard some high-pitched sounds coming from behind the shutters.

The shutters were attached to the building, so there was only a very narrow gap behind them.  I had to flatten my face against the wall to peak behind the shutter.  But once I got into the right position, I had a pretty nice view of the animals that were making the sounds:


Bats!  

I was excited to see some up close.

I'm not sure which species of bat this is, but if you have any thoughts about the identification, I'd love to learn more.

Here's a slightly closer view (check out the size of the ears!):


Maybe you'll see some bats tonight during your Halloween adventures?

No comments: