If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Northward flights

Have you heard about the recent northward flights of Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) butterflies?  Some of the observations made it to the New York Times a few days ago.

Painted Ladies were visible on Bodega Head throughout the past weekend.  During the last few days I've noticed them flying by my office window.  For the record, here's a photo that I took from my desk on 19 March 2019:


I've written about Painted Ladies in the past.  For more photos and information about them, see the post called "The third lady" on 13 October 2012 and "On their way to the desert?" on 23 November 2013.

No comments: