If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, March 18, 2019

Following footsteps

Earlier in March, I was watching some insects visit the flowers of Footsteps-of-spring (Sanicula arctopoides).  Check out this fly.  Hard to believe how thin its "neck" is:



I'm not sure if this next insect (below) is a wasp or a beemaybe a wasp?  Let me know if you can help with an identification:



And here's one of the flower:


1 comment:

Lynn said...

Hi Jackie,
Your green insect is a hymenopteran, the antennae are a give away.
Perhaps a chrysidid wasp or maybe a halictid bee. Both are often
metallic green.

Regarding your lovely bumblebees, they have to crawl all the way into
the iris to get the nectar and hence pollinate the flower. It's also a
great windbreak and hiding spot.

I LOVE your sense of humor and puns! I'm Chris Griesemer's
pseudomom,retired natualist/biologist. I used to teach Nat. Hist. of
Marine Inverts, Entomology Lab and Invert Paleo at UW. Chris was my
student, then TA. I love vicariously tidepooling, botanizing and
animal watching with your excellent blog.

Happy spring,
Lynn Havsall
Eastbrook, Maine