If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Friday, March 29, 2019

Pop! Goes the...

  

We went for a holiday hike at Tomales Point today (29 March 2019).  We felt lucky to encounter an active Long-tailed Weasel (Mustela frenata).



A view from the side in the coastal prairie: 



Looking forward, showing the beautiful tawny color below, and the black-tipped tail trailing behind: 



Periscope up!  We were impressed with how tall the weasel was when standing on its hind legs showing its full height:



Running between burrow entrances, including a great look at the tail:


Watching this weasel was definitely one of the highlights of the day.

7 comments:

Alice Chan said...

You gave me my first big smile of the day with these photos. Thank you!

Jackie Sones said...

Thanks, Alice! They make us smile, too. :)

John W. Wall said...

So beautiful, and I am so jealous as I have yet to see either a weasel or a badger out there.

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, John!

This weasel encounter felt quite fortuitous. Eric happened to notice the movement ahead of us. Somewhat remarkably, we watched the weasel for a little while, noted a few landmarks, kept hiking, and then when we returned to the same area hours later, we spotted the weasel again. It appeared to be using a network of gopher burrows.

We saw lots of evidence of badger digging, including some fresh mounds. Perhaps dawn/dusk would be a good time to look? Although there's so much territory out there, I can see how the chances of crossing paths with a badger would be slim.

:) Jackie

Mama Loves the Beach! said...

Beautiful shots! I shared them on Facebook as most people never get to see these curious little creatures. I've only seen them fleetingly racing across the road or trail or unfortunately, as road kill. Amazing to see how tall they stand!

Sherry said...

Great way to start April 1. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Aw, last time I saw my first ever weasel was from a cove at one of those small
pocket beaches that you can find down th steep slope off th Kortum Trail
( north of Shell Beach lot ). I looked up to th cliff from below and POP!
- a beautiful weasel head and neck staring down at me from thick vegetation.
Last ( and first ) time I saw a badger was on th road out to Tomales Point, Marin Co.
He or she was ambling along th fenceline where you usually spot Tule Elk... very
cool mammal. Keep th faith, it took many years for me to get lucky and spot one.
~ Alexandra in Sebastopol