If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Stormwatcher

At around 10:30 a.m. this morning (28 March 2019), we could see some serious dark clouds to the northwest:



Later, I checked the radar and this is what the NWS Bay Area radar showed at ~10:50 a.m.:


What did that look like on the ground?

I had walked out to take a photo of some of the weather instruments with the squall in the background.  This photo is from ~10:53 a.m.:



And here's a close-up of those dramatic clouds soon after:


There were a few lightning strikes in the distance and some thunder.  I didn't get a great photo, but since lightning is rare in Bodega Bay, here's one still shot pulled from a video clip:



I didn't know it at the time, but Alex took a picture of me taking a picture of the approaching storm.  Fun!


It started raining soon after this.  We received ~0.8 inches of rain during the day, bringing the rainfall year total in Bodega Bay to ~40 inches (103 cm).

No comments: