If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Resting among the rocks


Recently I was checking on some Black Oystercatchers to see if they might be nesting this year.  

Can you spot the small oystercatcher chick in the photo above?

The chick looks just like the surrounding rock, so check carefully.

If you need some help, I've circled the chick in the image below.  It has a short, dark bill and its head is facing left.


P.S.  I took this photo with a large lens from far away so as not to disturb the birds.  The original image has been heavily cropped.

2 comments:

Alice Chan said...

I love the calls Oystercatchers make. We usually hear them before we see the birds. Now I'm curious: at what age do the youngsters start making those calls?

Jackie Sones said...

Good question, Alice! I did a little research about this, and it sounds like oystercatchers start making alarm calls once they fledge, which is about 40 days post-hatching.