If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, December 28, 2020

Timing is everything

Eric caught a glimpse of these River Otters (Lontra canadensis) today, but if he had been a minute earlier or later, he probably would have missed them.  (Luckily, I wasn't too far away and he alerted me to them!)

I love when the otters roll on their backs:

 
 
And I'm always impressed with their fish-catching abilities.  Perhaps someone can help identify the fish in the photo below?
 
 
 

4 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Too cute, that one warming his belly in the winter sun.

Sadie Small said...

Looks like a kelpfish!

Thanks for sharing, Jackie. Your otter photos are always my favorite!

Matt Robart said...

The fish looks like a Giant Kelpfish - Heterostichus rostratus

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Sadie and Matt! Thanks so much! Paul and Eric also thought Giant Kelpfish looked like a good match, so it appears we have a winner!

:) Jackie