If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, May 15, 2021

On the way to the tundra

  

After field work yesterday we caught a glimpse of a small group of six Ruddy Turnstones (Arenaria interpres) at Dillon Beach.  I only had a point-and-shoot camera at the time, and was disappointed not to have a larger camera and lens because the turnstones were quite striking in nearly full breeding plumage.  So I made another run to the beach early this morning (15 May 2021) to see if they were still around.  

I'll be sharing some more photos, but here's one to start.  The turnstones (and other shorebirds) were feeding on small mole crabs (Emerita analoga).  I was glad to see them before they depart for the Arctic Ruddy Turnstones are one of the most northerly breeding shorebirds!

No comments: