If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, July 25, 2022

Auklet -- Part 2

 

Last night I mentioned that I had seen a couple of Rhinoceros Auklets close to shore.  Those were adults, but today I noticed a different individual that appears to be a juvenile.

Although there have been observations in previous years hinting that Rhinoceros Auklets might have nested on Bodega Head, I don't think there are any definitive records.  

Seeing a juvenile close to shore in July hints at the possibility of nesting locally, although the alternative is that this juvenile originated from a nesting site elsewhere (e.g., the Farallon Islands or a site farther north) and then dispersed to our area.

 
I had a large lens today and this bird was quite close to shore, so here's a zoomed in view of the bill with a tiny "horn" (in this case, a bump) just starting to appear at the base of the upper mandible:
 
 
P.S.  I came across a fun audio recording of Rhinoceros Auklets adults and a begging juvenile.  If you want to hear what they sound like, here's the link to the recording.
 

3 comments:

Alice Chan said...

These Auklet photos are simply fascinating, and then there's the bonus track of the recording!!! Thank you, Jackie.

Trina said...

Such surprising sounds! Just discovered your blog through a search about carnaria japonica - looking forward to reading more posts!

Jackie Sones said...

Hello!

Yes, I agree, the auklet calls are somewhat surprising! For me, having heard Atlantic Puffins on the East Coast, the adult auklets sound somewhat similar to puffins.

:) Jackie