If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Neighborhood watch

  

I was doing some yard work after dinner tonight (20 July 2022) and kept hearing a young Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) calling -- a high-pitched, descending wheeeer.  When I took a break, I looked around a spotted the hawk perched in a fir tree, probably a few blocks away.  The sound really carries!   

The hawk didn't come much closer, but here are a few more quick images.  I'm guessing this bird fledged from a nest somewhere nearby, but I'm not sure where.

 



 
P.S.  I didn't record the calls of this bird tonight, but if you want to hear an example of a Cooper's Hawk juvenile calling, check out this species account on Cornell's All About Birds page.

No comments: